Saturday, April 25, 2009

Maisie Dobbs


To celebrate our 2 year anniversary , I spent every free minute I had to read 'Maisie Dobbs'. I had been itching for a mystery and this quenched my thirst , well maybe not really quenching it because I cant wait to read the next book ( which is upstairs next to my bed , waiting for me to rescue it , but my husband will flip).

The book lets say covers a little bit of everything. Meaning that its covers just enough history of the sleuth , just enough of the mystery and just enough of blabbing about the country side of England. There is one thing that drives me nuts about English writers , they like to explain the country side to detail. Ive never been to England so Im not the person to be saying that it is or isnt the most beautiful country side you have ever seen. Though I am watching one of the tourist guide TV shows of England and there are very many beautiful places. As I said though , some authors just drag on with it and dont stick to the story . Jacqueline Winspear ( the author) covers enough of it , if she went any further with it I would have probaly put the book down.

One other thing that was just enough , was the love interest . The book constantly kept you on the curious side ( as a mystery should) of what was happening in Maisie Dobbs love life. There was not a whole love story that sucks you in and keeps you from the main part of the story , but then I didnt think there was a main part. The book was broken up into pieces. It was just wonderful though . I loved the ending , though it didnt make me cry . Which is great because I really dont like to cry.

I fell in love with Maisie Dobbs and the characters that live around her. Before I had started the book I thought they were written in the 50's , but this first book was written in 2003. The setting of the book was right before and after WWI.

I know Im not very good at explaining the book , but its my explanation that is running through my mind , and if you do every decide to read it I dont want to give anything away.

No comments: