Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My History and Love for Books


Yesterday I came across a one of the young women leaders I had growing up blog. Im a fan of her daughters blog , its addicting. I always seem to come over it every week and a half and have so much to catch up on with her everchanging exciting young life. I say "Young life" as though I am so much older but she is a month older then me. But as I told my husband this afternoon , " I feel as though we are in our 30s, compared to everyone my age that I grew up with ".

Moving on , well I came across the moms blog , and she happens to have a book blog as well. I fell in love with it. Well maybe not fell in love but I did go to the library today just to get books that she has currently read. When I came across her blog I was just so enthralled that there was someone else out there that loves to read ,and get through books in a good amount of time.

Just recently I joined the book club that my local moms group holds. First book club for me and its just one of the coolest things . I just wish we read more books in a month. I read a little on the fast side so Im done with the books in about 2-3 days. So it leaves me waiting for a whole month of what the next book will be. Yes , I could go out and pick out my own books. Id rather do it as a group or have someones ( that I know) opinion about the book. Reason being that I like to know the person is so that I have someone to talk to about it. That reminds me , Ev ( sister in law) recommended a book and I totally forgot...

Mark got home tonight and thought I was going to zumba class , so he had planned for going on a run with Bubba. Today was a tough day though , a new side of my son came out and lets say Im to exhausted to do anything. Since he had plans I took up the opportunity to leave and hit up the library. I made a list of books and authors and headed out.

The best way to describe Seasides' library is that it is just a little ghetto. Maybe that its not that bad , but they dont have much of a selection and its seems poorly funded compared to the Monterey library . The library left me with dissapointed with having only 1 of the books that was on my list , but I did grab a few from the some other authors that I had written down.

Even though this library isnt grand I do love coming to it. I love librarys in general. It has always been my favorite place to go to and hide. I was always the kid checking out max number of books and the librarian reminding me that there is a late fee because they always thought I would never finish the books. So today while I was there I sat on the floor in one of the aisles going through books and reading the covers. I wish I could have taken so many home , but I only grabbed 5.

When I was young , lets just say I didnt have the greatest of childhoods. Sometimes I feel as though I didnt really have a childhood. I had one at one point but it was taken away early. The only thing I had to really escape to was a closet or my room ( or somewhere they couldnt find me) to read. Reading gave me a perspective on life , on how it should be or how much worse it could have been. I was big into the Boxcar Children mysteries and The Babysitters club. Loved the Boxcar set because it was children abandoned but then were saved by a rich uncle ( at least I think it was an uncle) who took them on trips that always led to a mystery. Then I loved C.S Lewis. Theres no reason to explain is greatness at story telling . I read alot of books , and remember some but I loved them all. I was the girl with the flashlight that attached to the book.

My love for books is still there but it is no longer there for an escape from something terrible , I read when I have the time just because I love to do it . I love to share what Ive read with my husband especially. He always listens thoughfully and gives me feedback.

I hope that my love for books goes on to my children. We try to read to Bubba now , but he is only interested in books that have cars in them. He will search all the books he has and knows at age 1 what has cars. It led us last week to go to borders to find a seletion of books with cars in them so he will be interested in reading something. I would love any suggestions or comments on how to help with making reading to him more interesting.

Now to start with this bag full of books.

No comments: