Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wild Nights


Today during naptime I finished one of the many books I brought home from the library. It was not a book I had planned on picking up , but it was they only one written by the author of 'The Gravediggers Daughter'. I grabbed it just to see what her writing was like , to see if I could get through her book.

Turns out she is AMAZING. The books is composed of 5 short stories of the last days of famous writers. Edgar Allan Poe , Emily Dickinson, Samuel Clemens ( Mark Twain) , Henry James and Ernest Hemingway. WOW. A couple of them ended very weird. One I just didnt get. Another left me up in the air . Then the last left me to think that all these people were quite depressing.

I ended having to read on a little on every writer so I understood what was happening at the time of these writers lives. It helped me understand them tremendously. Except in the case of Emily Dickinson , I already had known a little bit about her , but her story was set in the future.

I would like to gush over what happened but would love if you took a chance to grab the book and sit down and enjoy some short stories.

'Wild Nights' by Joyce Carol Oates

No comments: